Wednesday 27 June 2012

Classroom Visitor!!!!

This last Friday I had the pleasure of a visit from Jag, a fellow Canadian and Grade 1 teacher from a school in Abbotsford, BC - about 3 hours drive from Kelowna.  Jag had found my blog and she wanted to see my class in action since she and some of the other teachers at her school were using Whole Brain Teaching in their classrooms!  Still, she felt - and I agree - that grade 1 is a whole different story then even grade 2 and 3.  They learn so much - how to read, write, add, subtract, etc. and there is such a range of levels - kids who can read at the beginning of grade one and kids who are just beginning to read!  Jag wanted to see another WBT grade 1 class so she came for a visit.

It was so great to meet her and talk about what each of us do in our classrooms.  It turns out we do A LOT of the same things!!!!  It ended up being the hottest day of June so far - we were all sweating a little in my teeny-tiny classroom (26 kiddies plus 3 adults!!) but it was overall a great day.  My kids were really on, although a bit sluggish because of the muggy heat:)  Jag and I got to talk at lunch and it was fun to share our experiences with Whole Brain Teaching.  Jag had visited Chris Rekstad's classroom so it was neat to hear about her experience.  I told her about my Phoenix conference and all the excitement that went along with it.  She was really sweet and gave me some motivation to go to another conference and to keep blogging.  What really interested me is that she is planning to do her Master's in Whole Brain Teaching and the effects of oral language on writing!!  Oh yeah!!  So excited to read her results!  Hope we meet up again sometime, Jag!  Have a great summer and thanks for the visit!!

6 comments:

  1. How exciting! I saw some of the comments on the WBT Forum about this and I was wondering if you ever got together. Sounds like such a fun and educational day :)

    Miss L (WBT Blog Bug)
    Miss L's Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was!! Neat when blogland and reality come together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pinetreelia! Wanted to let you know that I'm giving you The Lovely Blog Award. Would love for you to stop by and check it out!

    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that before I get a classroom again that I can find someone in NS to visit their class to see WBT in action.


    Reading with Mrs. D
    Endless Pinabilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hear of any WBT teachers in NS I will let you know:)

      Delete
  5. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this weblog's content daily along with a cup of coffee.
    My website : free iphone

    ReplyDelete